Last Thursday, at ultimate frisbee practice (I coach the Gonzaga women's team) I got hit in the face with disc, which is strange because I actually caught the disc, so I am not really sure how it ended up hitting me in the face. I took a direct blow to up upper lip. At first I didn't even realize that I had been hit. Then I noticed that icky metallic taste in my mouth - I was bleeding quite a bit. I had a mini-panic attack, doing a quick inventory to be sure that my teeth were all intact, which they were. No permanent damage, not even a chip. Basically, my lip took the brunt of it. My lip quickly swelled to at least 4 time its natural size. I had the whole Angelina Jolie thing going on, but only on one side of my face. Only my lip was not sexy, not one bit. Without being too graphic, I had a pretty big gash on the inside of my lip and it was all black and blue. It was pretty gross. My player's were trying not to laugh at my ridiculously puffy lip, which I am sure was hard to do. Needless to say, I have been icing like a mad women, which has helped with the puffiness but not the bruising so much. Four days later I still have a little puffiness and a nasty bruise on the inside and outside of my lip. However, I am becoming an expert at make-up application to hide the black and blue. I have also had some very compassionate, but somewhat judgmental looks from strangers at the grocery store. I just want to tell them - "I took a frisbee to the face, my husband didn't beat me, I swear!" Instead I just politely smile and hurry on my way. Having a fat lip at school and work is a little embarrassing, some how I just don't think that suits and high heels and fat lips go together! So there you have it, I have the fat lip blues. What a bummer! I will be much happier when the bruising and fat lip subside!!
2 comments:
Oh Bethany your fat lip sounds terrible! As sorry as I am that you got hurt I still have to ask...where are the pictures!
I didn't take any pictures in time to document the worst of it, so now it only residual bruising. Not quite as photo-worthy...
Post a Comment