Sunday, July 19, 2009

Garden Patch


At last I finally have an outdoor clothesline. These things are a real bugger to find these days. The only place I could find them was online and they were not cheap, but then my mom found this one at Bi-Mart for less than half the online prices. You gotta love Bi-Mart. I love not having to run my dryer in the summer. Hooray for lower energy bills and being more green!

In the spirit of more green (pardon the pun), we are also growing a whole lotta veggies in our garden. I love to grow things to eat. I like flowers too, but I would much rather grow something I can nibble on. We have already harvested peas (snow, snap, & shelling), kale, spinach, kohlrabi, lettuce, cucumbers, zucchini, some beans (yellow wax & purple dragon), and a couple tomatoes. I get so excited walking through my garden to find things ready for picking. My mom got us a chest freezer and I have been squirreling away veggies for the fall and winter. I even made freezer jam for the first time. It turned out great. I love having more freezer space than my little freezer drawer in my fridge. You know you are getting old when you get excited about getting a chest freezer.

The corner garden patch - leeks, kale, cabbage, beans, lettuce, kohlrabi & tomatoes/tomatillos.

The raised bed - lettuce, carrots, and beets.

Pole beans and sunflowers.


Our side yard garden patch - more lettuce (I may have gone a little overboard), kohlrabi, purple broccoli, dinosaur kale, tomatoes, radishes, swiss chard, zucchini, cucumbers, corn, & squash.


Yellow zucchini. Poor Mylo isn't really a fan. Too bad we already have six in our fridge.

Some of my first tomatoes. I am growing several heirloom varieties this year, which is fun.

Oliver playing with a huge kohlrabi from our garden.

No this isn't a tiny colander. It is just ginormous lettuce.

My first cucumbers (boston pickling).

Oliver gnawing on a pea pod.

Not at all related, but doesn't he look so darn cute in his little baseball hat?

1 comments:

Erika said...

Look at you!! I just told Shane tonight that I wanted an clothes line (yours is much more than just a line) :) We have a tiny folding rack, but it takes forever to dry things. But, these high PSE bills is for the birds!

Keep up the green! You rock!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio