I recently read a blog post here about New Year's resolutions. Rather than making specific goals, you chose a word that represents an overall theme for yourself in the coming year. The author of the post had chosen the word gumption for her word for 2010 and mindful for 2009. I thought it was a pretty good idea, until I tried to think of one single word. I still think it is a good idea, I am just incapable of choosing just one word. I was really drawn to mindful, but I didn't want to be a copy-cat. I could think of lots of words, but not one single word that satisfactorily sums up my personal theme for 2010. So I am choosing two words: patience and frugal.
Frugal:
According to wikipedia, common strategies of frugality include the reduction of waste, curbing costly habits, suppressing instant gratification by means of fiscal self-restraint, seeking efficiency, avoiding traps, defying expensive social norms, embracing cost-free options, using barter, and staying well-informed about local circumstances and both market and product/service realities.
I am a total instant gratification spender {although the gratification rarely lasts). I am certainly not cheap or frugal. By the way I consider both of those words to be complimentary. I am not good at saving. Mylo on the other hand is all of these things. It is a good thing one of us is. I want to become frugal. Mylo and I recently purchased this budgeting software {I am not a excel or quick books kind of gal}. I highly recommend it. It is super user friendly and it has really helped us understand and take ownership of where our money is going. The whole premise of the software is to allocate every penny of your money to a certain category, whether it be entertainment, groceries, or savings.
Mylo and I have started having budget dates where we do the budget and balance the checkbook together once a week. It keeps us on the same page and it is so much less stressful when we are both on board. We even budgeted out all our house projects for 2010. It was a good feeling to have that all broken down.
In addition to keeping more pennies in my purse, I am also drawn to the idea of re-purposing, recycling, and buying second hand. I want to be more aware of my consumption. To not have so much junk I don't ever use. To reduce my impact.
Patience:
Anyone who knows me, knows that I am not a patient individual, although I think I am getting better. Let's be honest, I still have my snarky moments. I need to practice patience most with my family, especially in light of Oliver's recent development into a dreaded toddler. Ahhh. I find it especially hard to switch from my "attorney self" to my "mama self." Law is adversarial. It is all about deadlines. There is very little patience involved, unless you are researching. On the other hand, patience is something that is very important as a mama and something I want Oliver is understand and value.
In keeping with the theme of patience, I signed up for a knitting class. Knitting requires patience and seems calming. A good way to unwind and exude a little creativity. I have been wanting to learn to knit for ages now. I ran to Barkley Village on Saturday with Ollie in the jogger and as I was walking past Apple Yarn, I just decided it was time to sign up. Before you praise {or curse} me for running to Barkley, know that my whole motivation for running to Barkley was use my newly acquired Starbucks gift card for a soy latte. Mmmm good. It was worth the run.
With patience and frugality in mind, here's to 2010!
Obat Herpes Tanpa Efek Samping
8 years ago


2 comments:
I have a book for you to read: Your Money or Your Life. It's a little outdated, but the book totally changed my perspective on money waaaaay back before I even had a job or money and helped shape the kind of consumer I am now. Although, I really need to read it again since I'm spending too much money!! Ha ha!
Way to go with the goals. You've inspired me... :-)
I need to do the budget date with Shane. It's just so hard to spend time doing it at home when I work with money all day and I try to do it at work (shhh). But, we need to be better. I keep watching the Visa get higher and higher and the savings get smaller and smaller. The economy is in the toilet and I have yet to wise up and realize that we need to save!!!
And, nice work on the run - overachiever :) You are inspiring though!
Post a Comment