So when soap suds started bubbling up in the toilet, I was less than calm. I immediately started taking a mental stock of our savings. Trying to re-create our budget before I even knew how much the bill would be - always assuming the worst. It's how I roll.
The toilet wouldn't respond to plunging, the utility sink was backing up and so was the shower, so we knew it was a more systemic problem. Then water started leaking from underneath the toilet. We both knew that couldn't be good.
So we reluctantly called the plumber, who was very nice and had to open up our main line, send an pipe auger down, finding the clog...drum roll please...a huge wad of baby wipes. What? We don't put those wipes down the toilet. I think the plumber thought I was lying when I said that. I wasn't. Ollie? He denied any involvement.
Since the plumber had the main line open anyway, we had him scope the sewer line with his fancy fiber-optic camera thing. Fortunately, although our sewer line is quite old, it is pretty good shape. It is concrete, so it has worn down quite a bit and the bottom is a little rocky, hence why the baby wipes got stuck. He said probably not a bad idea to replace it within the next few years, but no root damage or anything like that.
So instead a multi-thousand dollar job, it was a "mere" $500. Hah! When the plumber handed me the bill I jokingly told him, "Well, I'm not going to say its good, but it isn't as bad as it could have been."
Ah, the joys of home ownership, especially when you own a nearly 100 year old house, which fortunately has already had extensive remodeling. So now everything is just ducky, plumbtastic, and flushing nicely. I may invest in a "No baby wipes in the loo" sign to hang conspicuously above each toilet. Too bad Ollie can't read yet.


4 comments:
Oh I feel ya in the "assuming the worst" department. That's how I roll too.
Hey, didn't the same plumbing chaos ensue right after Liliana bought her house? This is becoming a theme.
Glad it all worked out.
Uh, that was me above.
That happened to friends of mine here, and the plumber said that it was probably the flushable wipes which are just smaller baby wipes. He said never to use them. Just a thought? Sorry about the bill, that sucks, though I guess is better than the alternative.
Oh god, my anxiety level increased 10 points when I read the title. Yes, celina is right, we did replace the main line and some other stuff for a whopping grand total of $5,000. Ahh!! I am so very glad that you did not!
And this here post spurred a discussion with my hubby. Apparently HE has been flushing major wipage when he flushes Jack's poopy liners. Oop! We got that all cleared up now. :-)
Post a Comment