Monday, June 20, 2011

Back in the Saddle...Again

Tonight, I went on my first run post-baby, ALL BY MYSELF. It was two weeks earlier than my first post-Ollie run (10 vs. 12 weeks postpartum). It felt good. Real good.

I nursed Mr. Henry, geared up, shoved the ladies into the tightest sports bra I could muster, grabbed my iPod and headed out the door. I stepped outside into the gorgeous sunny evening and took a deep breath. I queued up my iPod to the aptly named, "Pump it Up" playlist. ACDC filled my ears with "You shook me all night long," and I started to run.

As I made my way down the alley and into my century old neighborhood, with its beautiful old homes, each teeming with their own character, I couldn't help but smile. This is the same neighborhood I used to frequent for my runs during college. Back when I would run down the tree lined streets, lazily daydreaming that this neighborhood might be my neighborhood someday. Back when I had just started dating Mylo. Back when Ollie and Henry were but a glimmer in the future. Tonight, I couldn't help but think that my dreams of someday were here.

The inevitable postpartum jiggle and bounce aside, it only took me a few blocks to find my familiar and comfortable stride. I continued through my neighborhood and let my mind wander. This is why I love running. It is my "spiritual" time. My time to re-group, re-center, and unwind. Oh, how I have missed it during the past 10 plus months of gestation and healing.

I took a relatively flat route with only a few major hill climbs, which took some planning considering that steep hills abound in my neighborhood. As I climbed the hills, I put my chin down and pushed through the heavy feeling in my legs. I felt free. Free of toddlers, free of babies, free of the mess and clutter of life. As I turned the last corner towards home I reveled in my body. My body that could create two beautiful, perfect boys. My body that could labor and birth two babies. My body that could carry me on the most perfect 30 minute run ever.

3 comments:

Sades said...

Love this post! You are one awesome momma and one incredible runner too!

celina said...

I love this post too! It makes me wish I found running to be my spiritual time, because I'd really love to combo up some soul nourishment with some cardio, and enjoy it all at the same time. How wonderfully efficient. Instead, when I run (rarely), I just wish for it to be over. Teach me your ways, Bethany!!!

Farmer's Veggie Wife said...

That.is.awesome!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio