Saturday, February 1, 2014

25k Into The Clouds


Last weekend I ran the Orcas 25k (just under 16 miles), up to the top of Mt. Constitution.  It was lovely.  Really hard, but lovely.  The weather was perfect, the trails were amazing (with the exception of the 2 miles up the power-line ridge - imagine 2 miles straight up the side of a mountain), and the view at the top was simply breathtaking.

The race had over 4000 ft of elevation gain, so it was definitely one of the more difficult races I have run.  I was feeling a bit under the weather with a cold, so my legs felt a little heavy and tired.  But, overall it was a great run and a fabulous weekend with the girls.  I am already planning my next big trail run.  

Speaking of the girls, I have the best group of lady friends, ever.  There were six of us who ran and nine of us who spent the weekend on Orcas Island.  These ladies (of few who were new friends to me) are amazing.  They are educated, professional, ambitious, funny, lovely ladies.  I feel so lucky to have such a great group of lady friends to run with and have adventures with!

Here are my mile-by-mile memories of the Orcas 25k:

Mile 1 - Uphill, right out of the gates...
Mile 3 - Still going up, up, up...
Mile 5 - Ah, most gorgeous single track winding around the lake...
Mile 6 - Power-line Ridge. Cant. F'ing. Breathe.
Mile 7 - Still. Can't. F'ing' Breathe.
Mile 8 - The mile of witty banter with dude from Orcas.  Soft, rolling, single track through the woods - will you marry me?
Mile 9 - Switchbacks born of Satan.
Mile 10.6 - Top of Mt. Constitution.  Breath taken away - literally.  Ah-mazing view.
Mile 11 - Downhill, finally. Wait, did I just get passed by Willie Nelson?
Mile13 - Still going down.  Is it bad that all that I can think of is Advil? Advil. Advil. Advil.
Mile 14 - These little hills are kicking my arse.  I need food.  
Mile 15.5 - Uphill finish? Really?  And done!



0 comments:

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio