Thursday, August 23, 2007

Wrapping Up Summer

Mylo and I wrapped up our summer with a trip to Europe. We started in London, moved on to Gibraltar, then Spain, and finished up with one last day in London. We met up with my brother Matt, his wife, Mary, their daughter, Emma, and my Dad. It was a great trip and a much needed vacation.

Mylo and I in front of Hampton Court Palace


London was fantastic. We saw all the sights: the Tower, Parliament, Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's Cathedral, the British Museum, the Tate Modern, The National Gallery, the London Eye, Buckingham Palace, Kensington Palace, Trafalgar Square, Hampton Court, and Piccadilly Circus. It is so easy to get around in London. The only drawback is how expensive everything is, at least double. We also got to take a side trip to see Stonehenge and the Village of Salisbury, which has an impressive cathedral.




The view of the Parliament and Big Ben from the banks of the River Thames.



Mylo at the Tower of London




Matt, Mary, and Emma and the future baby boy Gamble at Stonehenge.



Matt and Mary got us tickets to see Wicked, which was fabulous. I read the book, which was good, but the show was definitely better! It was the best show I have seen in a while. I splurged for "Wicked" T-shirt because I loved the show so much.

Then we went to the small country of Gibraltar (the rock of Gibraltar situated on the Strait of Gibraltar across from Africa) which is a British Commonwealth. It is a strange place, British in a lot of ways with a strong Spanish influence. Gibraltar is home to a species of monkeys unique to Gibraltar. The tourist feed the monkeys, so needless to say they are slightly aggressive around humans. We avoided any ape confrontations by steering clear of direct contact with the little beasties.



The Rock of Gibraltar



A baby and momma monkey, they looks so cute, just don't get too close...
After Gibraltar, we took on Spain. My dad got us a rental car, which sounded like a great, convenient way to get around until you actually try driving in a foreign country. The highways were great, super easy. However, the cities were another issue. There are no street signs of any kind and the roads are super narrow and made of cobbled stones. It was interesting to say the least. I won't repeat the the foul things that came out of my mouth in frustration. Mylo and I almost got divorced at least 4 times, but don't worry we worked it out and agreed that we will never drive in a foreign country again, except maybe in Canada.






The Famous Arches of La Mezquita


Mylo in the Alhambra




Mylo and I in the oldest Bull Fighting Ring in Spain, thousands of Bulls have met their maker in this ring.

We had a great time in Spain and visited Cordoba (the home of the Mezquita, a huge Mosque turned Catholic Cathedral built in 900 B.C.), Granada (the home of the Alhambra, a Moorish Palace with phenomenal architecture, which is quite amazing by the way), and Rhonda (the site of the oldest Bull Fighting Ring in Spain and the birthplace of Modern Bull Fighting as we know it).

After about 2 weeks of touring, we were more than ready to come home, sleep in our own beds, and eat a home cooked meal. Unfortunately, that meant I had to start school again, but it is the last year! So I am right back smack in the middle of school again (first week) and it has been a tough adjustment. But the end of scholastic torture in in site...

3 comments:

April said...

Wow - what a fun trip! Scott toured Europe with his family while we were engaged and loved it. I think it's going to be quite some time before I make it over there, so I will live vicariously through your pictures.
Good luck with your last year of school!!!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I'm going to go there someday. I keep telling myself that is the reason we are having all our kids so fast...so I can scoot them out the door, then Jeff and I can party! J/K, I love my kids. I'll talk to you soon, only 17 more days until #3, and I am feeling it baby! I went grocery shopping yesterday and kept having "fake" braxton hicks contractions, so it took me 2 hours to buy $100 worth of food. Lame!

Kate said...

Um...I wish I could wrap up my summer in Europe! Looks like fun!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio