26.2 miles through the streets of San Fransisco. Check.
I ran the Nike Women's Marathon this past weekend in San Fransisco. The weather was perfect for running, 60 degrees and overcast. Besides hogging the bed, Oliver slept quite well the night before, so I woke up feeling pretty rested and ready to rumble.
I wolfed down a breakfast cookie, mixed my watered down Gatorade, taped my toe that always rubs on long runs, put on my new smartwool socks, packed my Luna moons and energy jelly beans and headed out to the start, just a few blocks from our hotel. This is what Ollie looked like (see above) when I headed out. Still totally conked out.
Mylo and Oliver took the spectator bus to the first "family cheer station" to cheer me on. I was still all smiles at mile 4. Unfortunately, the spectator bus was a bit of a bust and I didn't get to see Mylo and Oliver until the finish. I guess I was just running too fast. The course was pretty hilly and quite challenging. The race started at Union square, went through Golden Gate Park, through an idyllic San Fransisco neighborhood (tall victorian homes less than a foot apart), and along the water. Mile six was completely uphill (and steep to boot) and mile 7 was completely downhill. My knees and legs were definitely feeling it later in the race and for the next couple days. I hit "the wall" at about mile 19/20 and just puttered along until mile 24, when I could finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and motivate myself to kick it up a notch. I finished in 4 hours 8 minutes, about 12 minutes faster than my first marathon. I was hoping to be closer to 4 hours, but in light of my serious slacking on my training for the last month or so, I was pretty happy with my time.
The finish. Petal to the metal.
Finishers got some pretty sweet swag, including a Tiffany's necklace & Nike technical top.


2 comments:
Hi, Bethany--
Just checked out your blog site, and wanted to tell you that you should be very proud of yourself and your accomplishment
of running the Marathon, and finishing it!! I'm proud of you, too, and happy that Mylo and Oliver could share the experience with you.
This weekend will be a 3-way birthday celebration, and I hope you all have a wonderful time! I'll look forward to those pictures, too! Love, Grandma
Wow! You are my hero! I'll bet it was a fun marathon, if you can call a marathon fun, right?! Well, you are just awesome. That's all I have to say about that.
Post a Comment