Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Sew Good

A few weekends ago my mom came over for a visit and we did some serious sewing. I have not sewn anything in years and would not consider myself much of a seamstress. I literally save up all my clothes needing mending and hemming for the weekends when my mom comes to visit. Lame I know. My mom on the other hand, is quite the seamstress. I had several friends who had babies this summer/fall and I decided that I wanted to make them quilts for their new additions. I had the silly notion that sewing a couple baby quilts would be the great way to break my sewing dry spell.

To my credit, I got off to a good start. I picked out the fabric and cut out all the pieces for the first quilt back in May (baby #1 was due at the end of July). Of course, this was all when I was visiting with my mom. Then life happened, I got a job and the summer came and went and baby #1 was already 10 weeks old. So when my mom came for the weekend, I decided to take advantage of her sewing skills and prowess. We headed to the fabric store to pick out fabric for quilt #2 and Oliver's Halloween costume (to be sewn by my mom). We sewed during each of Oliver's naps and after he went to bed and finally the quilts were completed. My mom taught me how to bind and tie a quilt, which I had never done before. We had a blast and I just tickled with the fruits of our labor...
Quilt #1 - Bright and Bold


Quilt #2 - Which matches perfectly with a darling animal themed nursery, complete with 5 foot stuffed giraffe.




2 comments:

celina said...

So crafty! Nice work! I too dream of making quilts one day, but have no experience whatsoever. I want to recycle our family's old clothes into quilt patches. I have a number of items which aren't Goodwill worthy after the beating they've taken, and Ruby stains everything she wears now, so we have lots of fabric to use in the future! We'll see if I ever get around to it.

Erika said...

holy macaroni! I would hire you in a minute! you are sooo crafty and amazing. nice work!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio