... and at least four times the work. And it has only been two weeks.
These two fellas are certainly keeping us busy. Between trying to give Ollie, a very active and curious toddler, some of the attention he is accustom to and holding, bouncing, nursing, and changing all of Henry's diapers, we have our hands full. Fortunately all the newborn stuff is a million times easier and less anxiety producing than it was the first time around. The scary part is that Henry is still sleeping a ton, so I am wary of what the future will two little boys will hold.
Mylo and I have gone from a parenting partnership - sharing in most parenting duties, to a more tandem parenting approach. Tag team parenting, if you will. Often negotiating - if you take this one, I will take the other one. Obviously, having the only food producing boobs in the family, I am mostly taking care of Henry, while Mylo has taken on most of Ollie's care.
Mylo has always been a very hands on father, even with just one kiddo. He is pretty amazing. I can't imagine having a family with anyone else. With two kiddos, Mylo has really stepped up and taken on most of Ollie's care, so I can take care of Henry. He does this without so much of a blink of an eye and always without complaint. This is no easy task since Ollie has had a bit of a hard time adjusting to Henry's arrival. He has been acting out quite a bit, which was totally expected and understandable, considering his life has been completely turned upside down. Even if it is more or less understandable, it doesn't make his new behaviors of screeching, screaming, tantrums, talking back, and not listening any more enjoyable. It is incredibly frustrating, especially when you are tired from waking up several times a night to care for a newborn.
The long and short of it is that we are adjusting to our new life with two kids. Every time I say "kids" in the plural, it still freaks me out a bit. Mylo and I were joking that we will have been married for five years this summer, we have two kids, so our lives are basically over as we know it. We have even been discussing mini-vans in earnest. Our lives have most definitely changed from the days of ultimate frisbee tournaments practically every weekend, driving my cute red little VW Jetta around (with the backseat blissfully unencumbered by bulky car seats), carefree evenings of watching movies and hanging out with friends. But, we wouldn't change it for the world. Each hilarious "one-liner" from Ollie and fleeting newborn smile from Henry makes all the hard work, sleepless nights, and frustrating toddler push-back completely worth it.




5 comments:
Life as we knew it. And life as it is now. I wouldn't change it for the world! And just keep telling yourself it does get easier. Ollie will adjust just fine :-) Can't wait to see the little guy again!
It must be crazy, but I bet you are doing awesome. Henry has quite the head of hair, he is such a sweet little peanut. I bet he and Ollie will be good friends once they get passed these early months.
Agreed. Life with two is more beautiful, complicated, frustrating, and fun.
And I'm right behind you…
Spoken like a true mom. ;)
Post a Comment