I must be softening up in my old age because I really got into Valentine's Day this year. I have been an ardent hater of all things Valentine for most of my adult life, but this year was different. Ollie and I hosted a Valentine's Day Party, we did Valentine's crafts, and we even made our own Valentines for his school and daycare buddies. Our Valentine's Day craft was the potted tulips (see above), which I first saw here. I am not much of a crafter, but these seemed easy enough and they were! Ollie even helped. All you need are: a few ceramic pots, florist foam, acrylic paint, fake tulips, and conversation heart candy.
First, Ollie helped me paint the pots, which he loved.


Then, once the pots were dry, I cut the florist foam, inserted the fake tulips, and Ollie helped me put the conversation hearts on top (and ate a few for good measure). The whole project cost under $10 and I think it turned out really well. 
For Ollie's Valentines for preschool/daycare, we made these printables. Not as kid-helper friendly, but they turned out great and were a big hit with the kiddos.

Our Valentine's Day party was also a hit. Ollie invited a few of his friends over and we had a lovely little play date and lunch, complete with heart shaped PB&J, heart shaped brownies, and heart shaped cupcakes.



Photo stolen from Celina's Facebook - thanks, Celina!
For our family dinner we had yummy roasted red pepper turkey meatloaf - heart shaped once again, roasted red potatoes and a green salad. I gave Mylo a wooden carving board and he gave me a Galbraith trail map, kitchen towels, and new oven mitts - which could quite possibly be the ugliest oven mitts ever! To his credit, I did ask for oven mitts, albeit "cute" ones. These bad boys are decorated with not so lovely tomatoes, basil and garlic. When Mylo saw my not so thrilled face he said, "I know. They are bad. I have the receipt." At which time I burst into fits of hysterical laughter. Not my favorite kitchen accessory, but the resulting laughter was worth the terrible oven mitts and now I can't get rid of them because it was just too damn funny. Now every time I need to get something out of the oven I can say, "Can you hand me the oven mitts, you know, the hideous ones." Ha, ha!


2 comments:
That was one great party! It had been way too long since we'd had the playgroupies together, and I was as excited about it as Ruby was. I still need to buy one of those heart shaped pans for next year.
Post a Comment