Friday, February 24, 2012

The LOOOOOOOOONG Weekend

This past long holiday weekend was made even longer after a bout with a nasty stomach virus. It all started out dandy, with my mom coming up to visit for the weekend. On Saturday we (our crew, my mom, and Mylo's dad and stepmom) headed up to Boundary Bay, B.C. to see the migrant snowy owls who are temporarily residing there. The snowy owls only come down this far south from their arctic home every 5-7 years when their food supply up north is not adequate. It was pretty amazing to see nearly two dozen snowy white owls only a stone's throw from the trail.


Unfortunately, the weather was atrocious. It was very blustery and the wind was so cold. We didn't last too long, but we did get to check out the owls.

Ollie (who abhors wind) with Grandma Kristi

Me "dancing" to keep warm, with Henry in the Ergo, inside my coat (it was symbiotic relationship). On a side note, do you like my "new to me" jeans
I found at the consignment store? I love them!

This one is my favorite with his/her yellow eyes. So cool.


The owls were hanging out along the 20 km Boundary Bay Regional Trail, which looked quite beautiful, if we weren't freezing our @#!'s off. We are hoping to come back up this summer to check up via bike or jogger when the weather is better. After the owls, we stopped in White Rock, B.C. to have a late brunch/lunch. We ate at this great little restaurant and had the most delicious eggs benedict with freshly made hollandaise sauce. As an added bonus, both boys behaved like little angels in the restaurant.

That afternoon my mom and I did some sewing while the boys napped. I have been wanting to make a duvet cover for the bunk bed in Ollie's room to match his existing duvet cover. I have two sets of coordinating sheets, but we never use the flat sheet with Ollie, so we used the two flat sheets to make a duvet. My mom did an awesome job and it looks great. I almost like it better than the store bought one. Plus we didn't have to buy a damn thing.


I finally made a new oil cloth table cloth for our dining room table. Ollie had destroyed the previous one and then we decided to rearrange a little - taking the leaf out of the table, so I needed to make a smaller table cloth anyway. It turned out pretty well considering the difficulty I had working with the oil cloth, which seemed a long stiffer than the last piece I bought.

We also got to go out to drinks with our friends, Kylan and Steph, at this great new little bar in Fairhaven while my mom babysat (thanks, mom) and we did a family hike on Galbraith and Ollie walked 2.5 miles all on his own.

Our family plague started on Saturday afternoon with Ollie puking. all. over. the place. Kudos to Mylo for handling that one. After the puking incident Ollie was fine. He will be happy to tell you all about how he puked all over the floor in the dining room. Then, on Sunday morning, Henry fell victim to the puking and our dining room floor was again christened with child vomit. After that, Henry was totally fine. Then on Monday night it hit Mylo and I. I was up all night, on the hour, puking - fortunately not on the dining room floor, although the toilet did become a frequent destination. Mylo was also up during the night to join the puke fest. We both stayed home the next day and attempted to supervise our children while barely maintaining consciousness. It was a rough day. I only ate a handful of saltines and drank ginger-ale. I was fine the following day and Mylo is still feeling slightly uneasy. My mom also got it (sorry, mom) when she got home. It was a nasty little bug, that is for sure. I am just thankful the kiddos weren't sick like we were. That would have been miserable.

0 comments:

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio