Saturday, November 3, 2012

So Long, Pacifier


 Both my boys were pacifier obsessed and those dang pacifiers had to go everywhere with us, lest we be ready for a major meltdown.  We ditched Ollie's pacifier cold-turkey when he was a little over one.  It happened someone inadvertently when I took him on an all-day Christmas shopping adventure and forgot a pacifier.  I capitalized on my blunder and told him it was all gone, put him down for a nap without it (which went fine), and frantically searched for and threw the remaining pacifiers away.  

It was pretty much the same scenario with Henry.  Mylo and I had been talking about starting to phase the pacifier out, but we hadn't committed to anything.  We took a day trip out to Friday Harbor with Mylo's mom and didn't get there early enough to get on the ferry and had to scramble a bit to pack up the kids to just walk on.  In the scramble we somehow lost the pacifier.  Again, we just went with it.  He was a little cranky in the afternoon and wouldn't fall asleep in the stroller or car, but he went down with relative ease that evening.  He had a couple fussy nights thereafter, but the adjustment has been pretty seamless.  

I don't know what this says about our parenting style that we just happen upon ditching the pacifier with both kids, but I will take the small victories where I can.  As a bonus, since the departure of the pacifier, Henry has been talking up a storm (or at least we can understand him better). 

Riding the Sea Lion in Friday Harbor


My little-big boy.


Riding the ferry.
Let me outta here!


0 comments:

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio