Breast feeding is still his main source of nutrition, but now I actually have to think about my child's nutritional needs. Man, it is confusing. You need a Ph.D. to figure it all out. Some sources say no dairy/soy/nuts/berries/etc. until 12 months and others suggest starting some of those foods at 7 or 8 months. Some sources say no juice, some say you should give them water as soon as you start giving them solid food. Then there is the whole organic dilemma. I just want him to eat a healthy, balanced diet and not inherit my serious sweet tooth. Is that too much to ask? Can someone please write a book on how to accomplish that?
I was starting to feel a little overwhelmed about the whole thing. But then I thought, "I grew up eating hot dogs, mac & cheese, and drinking kool-aid and I turned out just fine." Granted, I don't think there will be any kool-aid in Ollie's near future. So far, Ollie is a big fan of sweet potatoes, apples, and bananas. He is not so sure about peas or parsnips (I think it was a bit too chunky of a puree for his delicate palate). So what is next you ask? Avocados, mango, green beans, cabbage, and pears. It is kind of fun to see what he likes. My strategy is to expose him to a wide variety of foods so he won't be a picky eater.
Did I mention that the kid is chewing on everything and slobbering up a storm. Maybe he will pop out a tooth soon. That would be exciting.


1 comments:
You should check out this book: 'Hungry Monkey: A food loving father's quest to raise an adventurous eater' by Matthew Amster-Burton. It's hysterical and offers a completely different point of view on "preparing" food for you child. Tonight I made chicken and veggie soup and I just chopped it up in the food processor and Jack gobbled it all down. Yummers and way easier than trying to make "special" food for him. :-)
Post a Comment