I have days when I am overwhelmed having just Ollie, so I imagine that life with two little ones is going to be even more chaotic, overwhelming, and exhausting. Of course there will still be all the joy of having a new baby, but let's be realistic people. I can't just snuggle and nap with number two as I please, which is exactly what I did with Ollie and I was still tired and sleep-deprived. I am going have permanent bags under my eyes. I am more than a little wary about how I am going to juggle everything, especially for those first two months before Mylo is home for the summer.
Ollie has always been a pretty "middle of the road" kid. He isn't easy, but he isn't difficult either. He is very high energy, he is an extremely picky eater, and he is very curious. On the other hand, he isn't particularly needy, he sleeps well (including still taking 2-3 hour naps daily), and is pretty good a self-directed play for his age. I am just hoping and praying that number two will be a relatively chill baby. Otherwise, I really have no idea how I will manage.
I had this "ah-hah" moment today at Starbucks. Ollie and I stopped for treats and drinks (donuts for both of us, decaf coffee for me and milk for him) after our walk this morning. We went in and ordered our goodies, found a seat, and made a little date out of it. It was enjoyable and adorable to see him sitting in his big chair, him telling me how he was "focusing on his sprinkles" as he nibbled the sprinkles off his mini-donut. As I was sitting there with my little man, it struck me, "There is no way in hell I will be able to do this with two kids." At least not for quite a while anyway.
It made me kind of sad. Especially when I started to think of the things I won't be able to do with two little ones in tow, at least for a while. For example: going out to eat; going shopping; going to any quiet, civilized place for that matter. Just imagining going grocery shopping with two kiddos sends me into a cold sweat. I am sure I will figure it all out with time, but I am kind of sad to lose this comfortable place I have gotten with just one kiddo.
I am taking 6 months of maternity leave before I go back to work (still only part-time), which I am very grateful for. We are planning to keep Ollie at daycare (he goes to Mylo's cousin's place where she runs a small daycare) for two days a week for April (baby #2 due April 14) and May, partially to not disrupt his usual routine, but partially to give me a bit a reprieve from having two kiddos all by myself all week long while Mylo is at work. I know people do it all the time, but I figure that I should take advantage of any help I can get. Hopefully that will help.
So here's to hoping that we will all survive the transition from 1 to 2 kids without too much upheaval and exhaustion. I'm not holding my breathe. I am sure we will survive, but I am also fairly certain that the road will be pretty bumpy.


3 comments:
Yes, it will be bumpy. It was very bumpy for me but we are getting through it! The other night Corbin, Eliza and I all went to Starbucks and had a treat, Corbin was so cute. So yes, it is possible it just takes a little time to get there. And now I am looking forward to new adventures with both of them. I sometimes grieve my time with just Corbin, but it is getting better each day. Eliza is a whole new person who just keeps getting better every day! Good luck and enjoy the time now. And know that we have gotten through it and can help at any time.
I reeeeeeally remember these feelings of anxiety. I was super stressed out about how things could possibly function with two. I called everyone I knew that had two and quizzed them to death. Somehow, (magically?) it all works out. I'm still surprised.
I think one of my favorite parts of having two is seeing the brotherly love. It melts me every time. And seeing those baby smiles makes it feel so worth it.
You'll have lots of great family and friends to support you and to be there for a good b*tch session, when needed.
Good planning to have Ollie in daycare for a bit! I wish we could have had a little more help the first few months. Thank goodness for all the food help! Which reminds me... how is your freezer looking?? ;-)
I'm with ya, sister. Are we out of our minds?
Post a Comment